Diatomaceous Earth, or D.E., is a fine powder made from fossilized phytoplankton. It’s very sharp and hard– almost as hard as a diamond–which is significant because it slices through the exoskeletons of pests and bacteria, killing them, but leaves your human digestive tract unharmed. DE looks a little like Rice Chex Cereal. It’s cylindrical and has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides, drug residues, E.coli, and heavy metals which are trapped inside the cylinder and then excreted from the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are “cut up” and killed by the sharp edges of DE (source).
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the remnants of microscopic plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms thousands of years old. Which means that, as long as it is kept dry, diatamaceous earth has an indefinite shelf life.
Diatomaceous earth is mined, milled, and processed in different types for various applications. Agricultural, filtration, and food grade are the most common. Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heated and chemically treated and is poisonous if consumed by humans or animals, so it is imperative to purchase FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth to use in and around your household and for consumption.
This is the brand I'm using right now, Root Naturally. I purchased off of Amazon, but the other brand shown at the top is on Chewy.com (where I shop for my pets - awesome store) and it's cheaper on Chewy.com, but it's not expensive no matter where you buy it, except health-food shops. At this time I am not an affiliate, but may be in the future. :)
As you can see in the photo, diatomaceous earth is a very fine powder, almost like confectioner sugar. It mixes super easy in water with just stirring, no blender needed and it has a slightly chalky taste, naturally, but not off-putting.
Diatomaceous earth has been used for just about everything; from fleas, lice, and garden bugs to intestinal parasites and joint pain. Although most of the information available of efficacy is anecdotal, I believe it is a must have for everyone's supplement cabinet. Because of the high silica and mineral content of D.E., and the utter deficiency in our food, it's no wonder people who have consistently used D.E. have reported incredible results in as little as a few days of use.
So what's the big deal about silica? It's only a mineral essential for all life on earth and is the building block of collagen in the body. Since the majority of crops are grown in depleted soils, this mineral, which we should be able to easily get from food, is scarce, leaving our bodies depleted as well. Supplementing with diatomaceous earth can fill in this unhealthy gap. Silica is also found in horsetail (plant), oatmeal, and pears in high amounts. I've listed a few reported benefits below:
- Reduced joint pain
- Weight Loss
- Decreased bloating
- Healthier skin and hair
- Hair growth
- Reduced gum recession
- Reduced tooth pain
- Healthier teeth and gums in general
- Intestinal parasite removal
- Kills candida
- Improved intestinal motility
- Helps improve intestinal health
- Lowered blood pressure and bad cholesterol
- Increased energy
- Increased sense of well-being
- Diatomaceous Earth (DE) may also help to absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses, pesticide residues, and drug residues
Diatomaceous earth may also help control sugar cravings due to the nourishing effect, its ability in assisting the pancreas and the killing off of candida, which feeds on sugars. In my own use I have noticed a dramatic reduction in sugar cravings.
I advise anyone just starting out to begin with 1 teaspoon mixed with a glass of water in the morning upon waking, drinking another glass of water right after. Work your way up to 2 tablespoons per day. Do not eat, take supplements or medications within 1 hour of taking D.E. as it can block some of the absorption.
I say to start slowly in order for you to avoid a severe healing crisis, or otherwise known as a Herxheimer Reaction. This is the process of the toxins/parasites die-off being released for exit and if this process happens quicker than your liver, kidney, bowels can remove them, you will experience some very uncomfortable detox symptoms as things get crammed up "waiting in line". I liken it to the Returns Department at Walmart the day after Christmas....mounds of angry people in backed-up lines with armfuls of things to unload. Not pretty.
That being said, any cleansing process will cause some discomfort no matter what you do, but it's best to start slow, increasing by the teaspoon every week (1 teaspoon a.m., 1 teaspoon afternoon). It is also very important to drink at least 70 ounces of water per day while taking diatamaceous earth, if you don't you will almost certainly experience constipation.
In my own experience, I felt severe discomfort (stabby pains) in the right & right lower side of my abdomen as well as my left abdomen within the first few days lasting for 2 to 3 days along with increased urination. I chalked it up to "the cleaning process" and haven't had a problem since. However, I started out with 1 tablespoon per day. I like to dive in and experiment, but I don't recommend this m.o.
Although I’ve never felt the desire to inhale powders of any kind, be it flour, cinnamon, sugar, D.E. etc, I feel it necessary to caution you not to inhale Diatomaceous Earth. It is a fine powder so it's not a good idea to breath in anything that isn’t air.
Also, don't be alarmed if your trips to the powder room leave you running out the door looking for the nearest niosh mask, that is known as the smell of die-off (parasites, candida, micro-organisms, etc) and is normal, no need to place a toxic fumes placard on the door, unless you just have one hanging around anyway.
So how long does it take to start feeling the blessings of diatomaceous earth you ask? Well, that depends on how toxic and mineral deficient you happen to find yourself. Those with loads of toxins or parasites to expel and severe deficiencies may see a difference rather quickly, while others will take weeks, but either way know that your body is benefiting from the addition of this vital nutrient powerhouse.
In my own experience, I noticed an increase in energy, longer eyelashes (seriously), shinier skin, and hair growth after 2 weeks, but by day 2 I felt "cleaner" inside. I can't describe it any other way than clean.
Meet Sugar Pops- one healthy kitty!
This wonderful supplement can also be given to your pets for their health too! For flea treatment, massage the powder into their coat, sprinkle around their beds, and in litter boxes to help with odors.
For internal use: Just mix it into their food each day and see them spring to life :) Here are some measurements for pet dosage from NaturalNews.com
When giving pets diatomaceous earth orally, just mix it in their food. Kittens should receive 1/4 of a teaspoon while large cats should be given 1 teaspoon.
The dosage for dogs is as follows:
*Very small dogs should receive 1/2 teaspoon.
*Dogs under 50 pounds - 1 teaspoon.
*Dogs 50 to 100 pounds - 1 tablespoon.
*Dogs more than 100 pounds - 1 to 2 tablespoons.
One last note:
I've said it earlier, but it bears repeating :BUY ONLY FOOD GRADE DIATAMACEOUS EARTH!!! Any other kind is poisonous and will harm you and your pets. You can buy it online or in health-food shops.
Good luck and happy healing to you!