Have you made dinner or a salad recently that involved fresh broccoli and, out of habit, just cut off the tasty, dark tops to use and discarded the light-green stalks thinking there is no for them, but still in the back of your conservation-minded brain you were thinking it a waste? Well, you were right! It is such a waste and it's unnecessary, as you will soon see.
The broccoli stalks, although not as pretty or tasty, contain just as much beneficial nutrition as the dark-green tops. What is a health-conscious, earth-loving person to do you ask? Well, take a look at the following eleven tasty ways you can easily and happily use up those broccoli stalks.
1. Make a broccoli cole slaw or add it to your favorite cole-slaw recipe:
Combine together 3 shredded carrots, 2 shredded broccoli stalks, 1/2 small red onion, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 TBSP of your favorite mayo, a splash of apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper.
2. Add in a handful of shredded broccoli stalks to an omelette or frittata
3. Makes a delicious, crunch topping for tacos, wraps, and sandwiches
4. Bulk up your favorite veggie or meatloaf recipe
5. Add to stews soups, and chilis
6. Combine with other veggies to make a homemade vegetable broth
7. Use when juicing
8. Add shredded stalks to green salads
9. Slice julienne for stir-fry dishes
10. Slice for a crunch vessel for your favorite hummus
11. Fermented broccoli saerkrat (pro-biotics anyone?)
This is just a few measly suggestions for those stalks so your not wasting nutrition or precious resources. Do you have any dishes you like for broccoli stalks? Comment below :)